One Sunday afternoon in the summer of 1915, the whole congregation went
in procession to the hillside of Many Bones Creek. They sang a hymn, prayed the
Rosary and the Magnificat, in the site where, with the encouragement of Fr. Metzger,
they would build their grotto.
Thus, on the firm foundation of prayer and discipline, the Grotto was built the following summer. Wagon loads of
stone from every quarter of land in the district, thundered into the colony for
days on end, the stone masons and all the men carried the heavy stones and
placed them into place. The young girls and women mixed the mortar. They
also cooked for the whole crew! Such items like home baked bread, soups,
stews and chicken dishes were made. One letter described how they made 30 chickens 10
loaves of bread and a bag of potatoes for the workers.
The consecration of the Grotto and first pilgrimage was held August
15,1917. The Reverend Archbishop Mathieu of Regina and a large number of priests were present.
An estimated 1000 pilgrims prayed on the first pilgrimage at this beautiful site.
A pilgrimage has been held every year since then. A large celebration
was held on the hundredth anniversary of the church.